Julia's progress

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Total Views

Friday, January 6, 2012

R2P2D5/35 - Lifestyle recipes

January 6, 2011

Round 2, Phase 2, Day 5/35

I lost 1.3 this morning, bringing my total for this round (started January 2) to 8.9 and my grand total (started October 17) to 39.2.  I'll take it!  Yesterday was a bit of a scatter-brained day for me.  First, I forgot to pack my grissini breadstick for lunch, so I was without those calories.  THEN, at dinner, I forgot to eat my apple.  And, I upped my HCG drops by an extra 6 (as an experiment) and I actually was MORE hungry.  So, no more upping drops.  And, no more forgetting to eat part of my food (who knew THAT was a possibility).  I think I ate about 400 calories (instead of the 500) yesterday.  Oh well.  I still lost!

But, back to the real reason for today's blog.  I rediscovered a yummy homemade mayo that I made last round and decided I should share some of the homemade things (mayo, ketchup, bbq, cocktail sauce, chocolate, salad dressing) that were REALLY easy to make, totally sugar/preservative free, cheap and, did I mention EASY? 

Before I get into that, let me tell you a little story.  You know me and my stories.  Well, heck, you've been reading my blog, so OBVIOUSLY I like to tell stories. 

Last night, I made my dinner (3.5 ounces of no skin/no bone chicken breast grilled on my George Foreman grill with mustard spice & sea salt was the protein ... yum!) and decided, since I've been incorporating 1 ounce of coconut oil into my day eating a chocolate delite (and am allowed 2 ounces a day), I was going to use some of my homemade mayo (with coconut oil) from last Round with my chicken (to add the other 1 ounce of coconut oil in).  I thought I'd try to jazz it up a bit.  Since I hadn't cracked it since I made it (great investment, Julia!), it had solidified a bit, so I took a lump of it, put it on the chicken (and my 2 sliced up tomatoes) and IT WAS AWESOME!  And yes, for those of you who don't like coconut flavor in any form, I can hear you wretching right now.  Sorry peeps.  But, for those of you who don't mind coconut flavor (not texture), it's really good.  It makes the mayo taste slightly like it's, well, tropical.  It's good.

And, for the rest of you nay-sayers who are thinking, "It's just because she's on a diet," you're probably right.  Things taste better.  BUT, they also taste worse.  And this tasted better.  Definitely better.  I'm chalking it up to the fact that it's because there's not all of that muck-ity-muck in it (preservatives, sugar, etc., that I can't pronounce).  So, I thought I'd share the "real mayo" recipe for you.  It's completely easy to make, and, you can use whatever oil you want.  If you are doing HCG, you should use either coconut oil (which you can buy anywhere) or MCT (that really refined coconut oil that I've only been able to find on line, but it's a LOT less coconut flavored):

MAYO
2 egg yolks (or use egg substitute equal to 2 large eggs)
4 teaspoons lemon juice, or use vinegar of choice
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
2 clove garlic, optional
1 cup oil 
Directions: Here's the basic mayonnaise recipe: In blender place egg yolk and everything but the oil. Start blender and let it puree everything for about 15 seconds, then very slowly drizzle the oil in. If you go fast, the mayonnaise will break -so take your time! Once that's done, let it blend for a few seconds and viola! You have mayonnaise!

Also last night, I revamped my ketchup and BBQ (the stuff I made last round was too runny), made more chocolate delight (I had run out) and made a variation of 2 salad dressing recipes (one from my friend Kate & one from an online HCG salad dressing recipe).  I have decided to eat salad (plain lettuce, with approved dressing on it) this time around.  Anyway, here are the recipes that I have tweaked for ketchup, BBQ (cocktail sauce, which I haven't made, but might), chocolate delight and the salad dressing.  Anyone can make them or eat them, but again, if you're doing P2 (like I know you are, Lisa), try these ... they're easy:

KETCHUP / BBQ / COCKTAIL SAUCE
No sugar added tomato sauce (1 can) or 1 tomato pureed (this is what I did)
Tomato past (1 small can)
Stevia (to taste)
Onion Powder (to taste)
Apple Cider Vinegar (to taste & consistency)
Salt (to taste)

For BBQ sauce only, add (after the salt):
Liquid smoke (to taste)
Cayenne pepper (to taste)
Chili powder (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)

For Cocktail sauce only, add (after the salt):

Horseradish (to taste)
Lemon juice (to taste)

Directions:
Heat the tomato sauce & paste.  When it's warm, start adding ingredients, stirring and tasting until it seems right.  Then, let it simmer until it thickens (it might already be thick, mine was) to a ketchup-BBQ-cocktail sauce consistency.

Chocolate Delight
1 cup coconut oil (or MCT oil)
1 cup cocoa or carob powder (I usually do 1/2 cup of each so it's not so bitter)
Stevia to taste

Directions:
Melt the coconut oil in the microwave.  Add cocoa/carob and stevia to the liquid and stir.  Pour into silicone tray (I have found little people shapes in the $1 bin at Target, but you can also use small ice cube trays) and refrigerate.  I recommend tasting before putting in the fridge so you can adjust the flavor if it's too sweet or bitter.  Some people put chili pepper in for a kick, or cinnamon.  I haven't done that yet, but probably will.  In P3, you can also add peanut butter, peppermint, nuts, etc.

Salad Dressing
1 cup oil (I used MCT)
Chives (to taste)
Garlic (to taste)
1/2 c Apple Cider Vinegar
Stevia (to taste)
Mustard (check sugar content) or mustard powder (to taste) - I used 2 huge Tbs of gourmet mustard I found at TJ Maxx
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)

Directions:
Put all ingredients into a salad dressing container and shake.  Taste.  Add ingredients if too sweet, salty, mustardy -- basically to what you want to taste.

I can't WAIT to have this tonight with my chicken for dinner.  YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipes! I really want to try the salad dressing but I am about out of MCT oil!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message. You can chose Anonymous and then write your name in the comments so I'll know who you are when I reply!